Be it 1 Pico or Catch, Christmas or New Year’s, a prime beef filet mignon or grilled Maine Lobster, ETC’s exquisite holiday menus are best served with a California-approved wine list and a side of Santa Monica views (translation: at your private beachfront table at Shutters on the Beach or Casa del Mar).
That said, not all hope is lost for those who are unable to join us this year.
Because as a gift from our kitchen to yours, Chefs Vittorio Lucariello and Gemma Gray have shared a few of their secret recipes exactly as prepared at Shutters and Casa. And if Tagliatelle Pasta or Winter Salad sounds like the perfect addition to your holiday lineup, be prepared for some serious compliments around this year’s family dinner table.
Winter Salad (Christmas Eve at Catch and Terrazza)
Ingredients for two people
• 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
• 1.5 cups olive oil
• 1 tablespoon honey
• 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
• In a bowl add 1/2 cup lemon juice, honey, mustard and whisk olive oil in slowly; seasoned to taste. Chill dressing in refrigerator, at least 30 minutes.
• 8 ounces Baby Tuscan, black and red Kale
• ½ cup pumpkin seed, roasted and seasoned
• Salt and ground black pepper to taste
• 2 bosc pears, each cut into 6 pieces
• 1 large pomegranate, peeled and seeds
• 4 ounces Weirauch farm rumple cheese
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
2. Spread pumpkin seeds onto a baking sheet.
3. Bake pumpkin seeds in the preheated oven until toasted and fragrant, 5 to 7 minutes. Set aside to cool.
4. In a nonstick pan, add butter and a spoon of neutral oil like grape seed. When hot, add the pears cut on wedges and sauté, toss with star anise, black pepper, maple and sherry vinegar, cook until golden and let cool.
5. Spread kale salad mix into a serving bowl , toss with lemon dressing
6. Serve on individual plates.
7. Add pumpkin and pomegranate seeds and roasted pears.
8. Top with grated Rumple cheese to serve.
Homemade Tagliatelle Pasta (New Year’s Eve Second Seating at 1 Pico)
4 oz. fresh oyster mushrooms
1 oz. fresh truffles, chopped
5 oz. fresh tagliatelle pasta
0.5 oz. truffle oil
Salt and pepper
In a large skillet over medium to high heat, sauté a handful of fresh wild mushrooms with a drop of olive oil and fresh herbs. Once brown, season with salt and pepper. While the mushrooms are cooking, boil pasta in salted water for 3 and a half minutes. Strain the pasta and add to the sautéed mushroom mixture. Add fresh truffles and cook for about a minute. Finish with a light drizzle of truffle oil and spring onions.